Christmas 2022 in Calderdale

Photo by Tahar Abroudjameur

There is something for everyone this festive season right across our fabulous borough. With so much to choose from you’ll be spoilt for choice!

From Christmas markets and fairs, Brass Bands, Pantomimes at Victoria Theatre, Viaduct Theatre and Halifax Playhouse, ice-skating at the Piece Hall, Lego at Dean Clough to a whole host of events at Halifax Minster including a Christmas Tree Festival. You can even meet the ‘big man’ himself at Santa’s Grottos in Westgate Arcade, Eureka! the National Children’s Museum, and garden centres.

You are sure to find something for the whole family to enjoy –  Discover a Magical Family Christmas in Calderdale Here


Late Night Shopping in Calderdale:


  • The Piece Hall’s shops will be open until 8pm on Thursdays throughout December in the lead up to the big day.
  • The Woolshops Shopping Centre’s late night shopping will be Thursday 15th and Thursday 22nd December until 8pm.


Christmas Tree Recycling

 Ogden Water will once again be recycling Christmas trees following the festive period.

“This popular scheme has been on the go for well over 25 years and has helped to create a wonderful wildlife habitat around the edge of the reservoir and stops people and dogs getting to the water. We were a bit short of trees in January so really need you to help us out if you have a real tree.

Trees can be brought and dropped off all through January at Ogden Water either outside the classroom or over the wall by the visitor centre, sorry we do not collect them ourselves. All cut trees will be woven into the dead hedge around the reservoir, while any with roots will be planted in the woodlands. Our volunteers will be out in January putting in the trees and would welcome further help if you can spare a day or two. We would of course welcome a donation with the trees to help feed our feathered friends through the winter months, alternatively you could offer a donation to Calder Valley Search & Rescue Team via their website.”


Focus 4 Hope can also help you to recycle your Christmas Tree. For a small donation, they will pick up your tree from outside your home and recycle it for you.

Volunteers will be collecting Christmas Trees on Thursday 12th, Friday 13th and Saturday 14th January 2023 from the following postcodes:

HD6, HX1, HX2, HX3, HX4, HX5

You need to book your collection online and registration closes 10pm on Sunday 8th January 2023. You can make your booking here.

Focus4Hope will receive 90% of the net monies raised. Just Helping will distribute the remaining 10% to other local charities.